Sunday, March 1, 2009

This isn't for the weak

Love, I've discovered isn't for the faint of heart, or the one who gives up easily. It takes work. As a child I think I grew up with the notion that love is easy and that my parents relationship always worked smoothly. This was of course because adults, I think, try to always make their life seem easy to their children or atleast mine did. Now I see the struggles they go through day in and day out. But still after so many years they're still together, working to make their marriage and love work.

This morning in church, I glanced around at the many couples surrounding me and never felt more alone. I pondered why I couldn't make a relationship work. And then I realized, love takes work. For a relationship to really work, both parties must be completely committed and moving on the same track, willing to share everything that makes them who they are. And that sometimes is a scary thought to be able to open yourself up that much. I have yet to find the man who is willing to be that devoted till death do us part, though many have thought they were to that point. I also thought about how difficult it must be to transition from dating to marriage where you then must share everyday with another person.

My point is I've recently realized that love is not all I always thought it was. Perhaps its like most things in life: you get out what you put in. The more willing you are to work with someone and to reveal to them your deepest secrets, the closer your hearts will grow and the more you will get from love. It does take work but those who work hardest will be greatly rewarded. I envy those who have found someone with whom they can work towards the same goals with and inturn reap the benefits of love.

Words of Wisdom: When love beckons you, follow him though his ways are hard and steep. -Kahlil Gibran

No comments: